Dhal puri roti recipe is one of the most popular and common recipes in Trinidad. Trinidad is known for many things including its culture, Carnival, soca music, and of course its vast array of food. Get to know more about the island from our page dedicated to Trinidad and Tobago.
One of its most famous and delectable culinary experiences is the roti. There are many types of roti made in Trinidad including buss up shut (paratha roti), sada roti, pepper roti, and the popular dhal puri roti.
How to Make Trinidad Dhal Puri Roti
Trinidadian Dhal puri roti comprises curried and/ or stewed fillings wrapped in a dhal puri roti skin. Fillings include:-
- Stewed or Curried meat such as chicken, goat, beef, duck, conch, shrimp or meat substitutes such as soya
- Potatoes Curried and Channa (Chickpeas)
- Curried vegetables and fruit such as pumpkin, bodi beans, and mango
The dhal puri itself is a flatbread filled with dhal (split peas). Most people find it easier to purchase the actual roti skin (dhal puri), however, making it from scratch is quite simple especially if you are feeling adventurous or do not have easy access to purchase it.
Dhal Puri Roti Calories – [Serving Size 1 ea (87g)] Calories 230, Fat 2.6g, Carbs 42.8g, Protein 9.3g
Dhal Puri Roti Recipe
For the dhal –
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ground roasted geera (cumin)
1 1/2 cups split peas (dhal)
1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper (or any hot pepper you like)
For the dough
3 cups all-purpose flour
pinch instant yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon baking powder
1 ½ cups water (see note below)
* 5 tablespoon vegetable oil (for brushing the roti while it cooks)
Method To Prepare Dhal
- Wash split peas
- Place about 5-6 cups of water to boil
- Add split peas and turmeric to the boiling water and cook for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
Method To Prepare Dough
This process is crucial. To make the softest dhal puri roti recipe, follow these steps carefully
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, yeast, and baking powder)
- Gradually add water and knead to a firm consistency to form a dough ball of water.
- Cover dough and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Add salt, garlic, geera, and pepper to split peas.
- Grind the mixture in a food processor, gradually adding, until you achieve a breadcrumb consistency
- Divide the dough ball into six smaller balls,
- Flatten each ball then fill them with the peas filling.
- Re-close balls sealing in peas filling
Cook Dhal puri Roti
- Heat your Tawa (baking stone) on medium/high heat and brush some oil on the surface.
- On a flour-dusted surface, roll out one of the stuffed dough balls to 12-14 inches in diameter and about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place dough on tawa (Tip: a nonstick frying pan can be used if you do not have access to a tawa)
- After about 30 seconds, flip the roti. Brush roti with a bit of oil. Flip roti every 30 seconds for approximately 5 minutes. The roti will start to inflate as it cooks
- Remove from tawa
- Repeat steps with the other dough balls
Dhal puri Roti Tip: Dhal puri is best served hot. If you are making a large batch it can be frozen in sealed plastic. When reheating, wrap in wax paper and a towel to maintain softness.
Awesome, now you know how to make Trinidad’s popular Dhal puri Roti Dish!
Get to know the most popular Caribbean recipes and prepare them at home at your convenience. Find out how you can make recipes like Seafood Stew, Jamaican Jerk Chicken, #1 Guyana dish – Pepperpot, and many more!
What’s you favourite roti? Let us know and we will try to write an article about it.