If you are fascinated by the sparkling beaches and unspoiled tourism of Antigua and Barbuda, let us tell you about something that will fascinate you even more. Wondering what we are talking about? Well, we are talking about a lip-smacking dish of this captivating country and it is Fungee and Pepperpot. This particular dish is crowned as the national dish of Antigua and Barbuda. With the fact you can assume how popular it would be among the local people.
Antigua and Barbuda is not the only country in the Caribbean that has its own national dish. In fact, every country on the island had its own kind of national dishes and we have already talked about some of them. Anyway, when you are in Antigua and Barbuda, make sure to relish the flavor of this sumptuous dish.
Why is Fungee and Pepperpot called the national dish of Antigua and Barbuda?
Well, there is not any such reason that gives this Fungee and Pepperpot the honor of being the national dish of Antigua and Barbuda. It has been given this tag simply because the dish is quite popular in the country and loved by locals. You can find this dish throughout Antigua and Barbuda and the interesting thing is that the flavor you get to enjoy in this country, you can’t really find anywhere else in the world.
Is Fungee and Pepperpot non veg?
Well, you can’t really say that Fungee and Pepperpot is a completely non-veg dish. However, it is mainly made up of a bunch of veggies. In certain places, people add meat to it in order to enhance the flavor. On the other hand, it is prepared solely with veggies in some places. Owing to the fact, you can enjoy the dish in both flavors.
Is Fungee and Pepperpot a single dish?
No, as you are expecting, they are two different dishes served together to enjoy the maximum flavor. Fungee is cornmeal dumplings while pepperpot is a one-pot stew with a thick consistency. If you wish you can accompany any of these dishes with some other dishes according to your flavors.
How is Fungee and Pepperpot cooked?
Preparing this dish is not very difficult. like cornmeal dumplings, you can prepare fungee. On the other hand, a pepperpot is cooked like a thick stew filled with the richness of veggies. Fungee is actually a kind of little bread ball or dumpling consisting of cornmeal with okra.
What ingredients are used to prepare Fungee and Pepperpot?
You don’t need many ingredients to prepare this dish if you want to prepare it at your home. Just a handful of ingredients are required and Fungee and Pepperpot will be prepared at your home.
Serving: 4-6 people
- 1 lb. corned beef brisket, bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 lb. ham, cut bite-size pieces
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 16 oz can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 lb. acorn squash, seeded, peeled, and bite-size pieces
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 1 habanero pepper, finely chopped and seeded
- 8 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. fresh chives, chopped
- 1 med. eggplant, bite-size pieces
- 1/4 lb. fresh baby spinach
- 14 oz. can of whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. yam, peeled and bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- 4 cup water
- 2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 t. salt
- 6 okras, sliced
Directions to cook Pepperpot
Don’t fret by thinking that the dish will take too much time. Preparing the Fungee and Pepperpot is extremely easy and hassle-free. In just a few steps, the dish will be prepared and ready to be served. Below, look at the step-by-step directions so that you can prepare the dish in the best way quickly.
- Take corned beef, ham, and water in an oven and boil over high heat. After some time, reduce the heat to low and let it cook until the meat is tender. Drain the meat and reserve the meat as well as the cooking liquid.
- By the time the meat is simmering, cut and prepare all of the vegetables.
- In the same oven, heat oil over medium heat and add onion, green onions, garlic, and habanero pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Next, stir in the tomatoes, chives, tomato paste, and thyme, in order to break up the tomatoes. Boil the blend and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant, yam, and squash. Cook for around 5 minutes. Stir in the meat and the reserved meat cooking liquid that you kept aside in step 1.
- Now, reduce the heat to low, put the mixture in the oven and simmer until the vegetables are cooked. It will take around 20 minutes.
- Stir in peas and spinach well and cook the spinach for about 5 minutes.
- Season with pepper and you’re done. Voila, delicious Pepperpot is prepared.
Directions to cook fungee
Preparing fungee is even easier than that of Pepperpot. You hardly need to follow 4-5 steps and the dish will be ready.
- Take water, okra, and salt in a medium saucepan and boil. Cook for about 5 minutes until okras are well cooked.
- Next, add cold water to the cornmeal a little bit at a time in order to avoid lumps until the cornmeal reaches a pasty batter.
- Now, add this cornmeal mixture to okra water and put it into heat. Stir continuously with a spoon until the mixture becomes stiff. When the mixture starts leaving the surface of the pan, the fungee is ready.
- Yeahhh! Just take it out of the oven and enjoy it with an amazingly flavourful pepperpot.
We have told you everything about the Fungee and Pepperpot. So, when you are in the Caribbean, especially in Antigua and Barbuda, make sure to grab the full fate of Fungee and Pepperpot and give your taste buds a treat. We vouch the dish will leave you to keep licking your finger.
Did you check our exclusive IC Caribbean Shop? Go through it to explore some unique travel accessories and enjoy your upcoming vacation.
IC Caribbean invites aspirants to join our internship program. Work with us to get exposure in the international travel industry and work with a diverse team of professionals.
Have you checked our recent podcast episode on Grenada Travel Below: